Making Salads Sustainable and Enjoyable
As with all foods - use the best ingredients you can for dressings. The best olive oil, omega-3-rich flax or hemp oil, or the wonderful pumpkin oil. Apple cider vinegar - organic and unpasteurised - is a great probiotic health product.
Organic lemons, tahini and mustards where possible..... and the freshest of herbs. And getting ahead is a great idea.... oily dressings keep for a week in the fridge so you can make a couple of batches at the weekend to save you time during the week.
You're more likely to eat a salad if half the work - the dressing - is already done.
Here's some of our favourites...
That's layer one.
- Take 4 big spoonfuls of tahini and add in the juice of a lemon and juice of half an orange, stirring until the mix goes very stiff.
- Now add some salt or a splash of tamari and mix in.
- Thin gradually with filtered water, to consistency of cream.
- Great on salad, also yummy over steamed veggies or drizzled on top of soup.
Red Pepper and Coriander
- 1 big red pepper, cored
- 1 big handful fresh coriander
- 2 small tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt and 1 of black pepper
- 1 tsp miso
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 TBS filtered water
Whizz up in the blender until smooth.
This one is oil-free so use it within a day of making it.
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for an hour
- 3 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 TBS water
Whizz in a high speed blender for best creamy results.
Great on a Waldorf-type salad or on a salad with hard boiled eggs.
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 TBS Umeboshi plum seasoning
- 3 TBS Mirin
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup seaweed water (soak water from rehydrating seaweed - just use water if you don't have seaweed)
- 1/2 piece ginger root, peeled.
Whizz up in the blender and enjoy over seaweed or any salad.